Does the 2001/02 RSV Mille need a steering Damper?

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Does the 2001/02 RSV Mille need a steering Damper?
By Scottaride on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 09:54 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

I just got the bike new and noticed the R model has it, but not the std Mille. I ride quite hard so I dont want to find out it needs a steering damper the hard way/  

By Taffrsv on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 10:00 pm:  View Taffrsv's Profile Search for other posts by Taffrsv Edit this post

I've just fitted one to mine, all I can say is on the bumpy country roads I ride on it needs one, on good smooth tarmac you don't, so I suppose it depends on how hard you ride and on what type of roads.  

By Bonerp on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 10:53 pm:  View Bonerp's Profile Search for other posts by Bonerp Edit this post

I've got an Ohlins from an "R". I found I needed it. Some don't!

My experience is I like to drive out of corners hard (well, for me anyway!!!) and the front flaps (just slightly) That was enuff for me to get one. Its on almost minimum setting so doesn't affect the steering.

Got mine from FULLSPEED APART from a brand new bike the were breaking. They do this fairly regularly. Apparantly theres more money in breaking a brand new bike than selling it complete!!!  

By Crmc33 on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 11:00 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

IMHO you shouldnt need one on the Mille.
My personal experience on the Falco with RSVMille rear shock and lowered front ride height is that the bike can be set up to steer reasonably fast whilst still maintaining stability without such a damper.
I think Ive tested this setup on some of bumpiest roads in the world and I would say that if the bike misbehaves then the suspension setup isnt correct (or something else is wrong like the head brgs are loose or something)
I agree that the bike can get 'flighty' out of corners but not dangerously so (ie. not tank slapping). Any bike with the grunt of the Mille is always gonna have the ability to lift the front when exiting corners but this wouldnt be cured by a damper.
Using the bike on the track is a little different as the corner speeds are higher and aggresion levels too! Steering dampers can be very handy on the track to get around fast bumpy corners where previously you would have to feather the throttle to stop the bike 'kicking' around. Even then, I think its doubtful that you would need to do even this unless youre in a competitive race where every split second counts, and its also likely that such behaviour could be dialled out using the adjustable suspension.
Just my 2p an all that. 

By Richandall on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 02:10 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Crmc33, my falco has the Mille shock too & it greatly improved the old 'rocking horse' effect around fast bumpy corners. It still occurs occasionally and it's a bit disconcerting when it strikes. How do I dial this out? Or is it me 95kg frame tha's at fault?

- Rich 

By Crmc33 on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 02:59 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Springpreload 130mm
Compression 20 clicks from max
Rebound is set at 7 clicks from max
ride height is not currently at max, shock length 321mm
front forks 5 lines on leg outers showing

I would like to try maxxing the ride height at the rear and raise the yokes back to standard but the bike would topple over the sidestand. Im in the process of sorting this and will post something on this soon.

I find with the above settings that the bike steers and behaves well and never feels like it would start getting out of shape enuf to need a steering damper. Im at Cadwell next month so I'll tell you after that if it still behaves. Altho I think Pembrey is a better test of a bikes handling as its so damn fast n bumpy in places!  

By Richandall on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 07:47 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

And rider's weight - nothing personal mind, but as me's 95 kg kitted up wd you say these settings apply more or less??

- Rich

By Nick on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 09:29 am:  View Nick's Profile Search for other posts by Nick Edit this post

I too have noticed the RSV suffers from 'headshake' but it doesn't seem too bad.

Noticed especially on the Helmsley road (Taff knows it!) whilst going quite quickly on occaison.

May get a damper in the future though  

By Crmc33 on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 11:42 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Im am 95kg (but reducing!) too so these settings should work OK

this thread is sponsored by SLIMFAST 

By Richandall on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 05:15 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Yeah, me too.

Got me Fitness Suite Authorised User Card today. It says "Not Transferable" so can't send someone else along to get fit for me. Damn!

So, how many calories can you burn off in 30 mins on the exercise bicyclette?

Can I go home now cos I'm feeling tired?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation