Starter clutch - F***ed

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Starter clutch - F***ed
By Rsvkiddie on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 03:43 am:  View Rsvkiddie's Profile Search for other posts by Rsvkiddie Edit this post

Dont know if this has happened to anybody....but I have been having problems starting my '00 mille until recntly it really did give up the ghost. On start it would turn over with a mechanical 'clatter' briefly (similar noise could be like when missing a gear change)before firing up (eventually)......anyways....apparently dealer tells me its the starter clutch....... and its a £400+ part!!!! couple of hours to fit etc...this mille owning business is getting expensive....2000 miles ago the 12000 service (with two new tyres) was a grand!........ 

By Befbever on Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 10:58 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I think our Scottish friend Dave has had the same thing with his Falco. I'd expect the dealer to replace it under warranty. 

By Pault on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 02:49 pm:  View Pault's Profile Search for other posts by Pault Edit this post

Just did mine, bit of a pain. Bought it s/h for £140 and £10 for the gasket
Aprilia quote 20 mins to change and i'd agree now (always easy after the event) so thats £40 as quoted by my dealer.
shot me a mail paul.taylor@tiscali.co.uk if you need a hand/advice on changing it
PT 

By Pault on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 02:52 pm:  View Pault's Profile Search for other posts by Pault Edit this post

oh and the dealer said it was "user error" as it caused by; quote " starting the bike with the throttle open, which increases compression and strains the starter clutch"
mmm....cant see it myself but Aprilia being so willing to do things under warrenty good luck!
PT  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation