To much advice but not the right answers,help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : To much advice but not the right answers,help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Carnage on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 03:45 am:  View Carnage's Profile Search for other posts by Carnage Edit this post

mucking about with ohlins is great but i cant find a compramisable set up for road and race.
please help as i have taken the wrong advise to many times  

By Salkhan on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 03:59 am:  View Salkhan's Profile Search for other posts by Salkhan Edit this post

Trust me, unless you don't mind have a race setup for the road, it's going to be very difficult to find a compromise for both (hence that's why they have both setups.)

My advice, find your road setting by starting with the stock setup, which is in your manual, get it comfortable for your weight and style and write it down!! Then, from there, start to tighten and play with it for the track. And of course, right that down as well. Once written, you can go back and forth like it's nothing.

It's a black art really.  

By Exdukenut on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 06:44 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

It really is important to go back to the std setup from the Ohlins yellow sheet that came with the shock.

What shock have you got? the AP840 (46PRCLS) with Hydraulic preload or do you have the screw collets as on an RSV-R?

If so, for the spring weight I have I backed compression 2 clicks to 6 from 8 which is std. And I added 4 clicks of compression (14 std) to 18 clicks from fully off. Also with the Hydraulic Preload it is I believe 8 turns from full off.

Now just remember to set static sag before any of the above is done as well.

Remember to have a little notepad with you so you can write down what changes you made previously. Also only adjust one thing at a time, then go for a ride.

When fiddling with the rebound knob go up or down in 4 click increments firstly until you have close to the desired setting, then go 2 clicks either up or down and test again.

For the track and with Hydraulic preload or adding a passenger I usually screw on some preload (approx 2-3 turns).

Now be aware that I am 100kgs, and have a different spring. Check here (http://aprilia-archive.ridersite.com/forum/messages/4/1546.html?1025855160) and in the Old Graveyard for Threads on this board in the Falco Section for the Ohlins thread on spring info and weights, for each spring Ohlins offers. The only other thing I could suggest is to take the bike to a suspension shop and ask for their assistance.

FYI....the recommended Ohlins fork settings from Aprilia are:

COMPRESSION: 17 of 31 clicks - Clockwise. (Manual recommends 12 clicks CW for street and 8-10 for track use)

REBOUND: 9 of 25 clicks - COUNTER clockwise. (Manual recommends 12 clicks CCW for street and 8-10 clicks for track use.)

PRELOAD: 7 turns CW (manual recommends 8 turns CW for street or 6-9 for track)

FORK DROP: 4 lines showing above the triple clamp. (Manual recommends 4 lines showing for both street and track)

STEERING DAMPER: 15 of 17 clicks CW. (Manual recommends 15 clicks CW for street or track use)

Hope this helps

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation