Rear Suspension Replacement

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: Mille RSV1000 : Rear Suspension Replacement
By Dah on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 02:12 pm:  View Dah's Profile Search for other posts by Dah Edit this post

Can anyone tell me the correct way to remove and replace the rear Ohlins suspension......i.e. how do I reduce the spring load so that it can be replaced ?

I have a feeling that this should be simple but.........  

By Spoof on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 05:58 pm:  View Spoof's Profile Search for other posts by Spoof Edit this post

I believe you need to support the bike so that the rear wheel is above ground without effecting the swingarm, and then, independent of that first support, you need to jack up the swingarm toward the rear, allowing the shock to simply drop its pressure downward.  

By Exdukenut on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 06:23 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

You will need a spring compressor, or you can make your own, if you are that way inclined. Best to get someone who has the right tools to do it,IMHO. 

By Spoof on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 06:53 pm:  View Spoof's Profile Search for other posts by Spoof Edit this post

edit: I perhaps misunderstood what you are doing and blathered on like an idiot. Please forgive. 

By Dah on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 02:06 am:  View Dah's Profile Search for other posts by Dah Edit this post

I guess that I could also use a jack under the bike around where the swingarm joins the main chassis.....but not on the swingarm.  

By Powermaster on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 02:08 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Dah, if you are trying to remove the spring and don't have the right tools, don't or you may be in for a shock
If however you are trying to remove the suspension shock, use a jack under the Engine, exhausts have to be removed. 

By Myapriliarsv on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 02:56 am:  View Myapriliarsv's Profile Search for other posts by Myapriliarsv Edit this post

you mean a high end quality jack like this one?

Text description 

By Dah on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 03:14 am:  View Dah's Profile Search for other posts by Dah Edit this post

Top Quality !!  

By Myapriliarsv on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 03:30 am:  View Myapriliarsv's Profile Search for other posts by Myapriliarsv Edit this post

That is Gecko's bike. He created this so we could change out his rear shock...not pretty but it worked. 

By Dah on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 05:27 am:  View Dah's Profile Search for other posts by Dah Edit this post

I am trying to replace the lowest bolt in the swingarm mechanism for a longer one. The reason is to attach a chain tensioner to this longer bolt. This is part of the Aprilia/Ackropovic twin can install.  

By Rca on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 06:01 am:  View Rca's Profile Search for other posts by Rca Edit this post

Dah,

First, remove the belly pan, it may not be necessary for the particular bolt you are trying to access, but it gives you more room to work. Then, stick a longish steel bar thru the hole in the pivot point for the swing-arm so it pokes out of both sides and then lift bike via bar and put bar onto axle stands or similar.

Russell  

By Spoof on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 06:09 am:  View Spoof's Profile Search for other posts by Spoof Edit this post

Yah, it will be no problem if you are not actually removing the spring from the shock. Dissassembling the shock = proper tools. Removing the shock from the bike = see above.

Or see below...

http://www.geocities.com/sl_mille/shock2.html 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation