V60 engine oil consumption

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: General Aprilia Chat: V60 engine oil consumption
By Guzzi on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:48 am:  View Guzzi's Profile Search for other posts by Guzzi Edit this post

What sort of oil consumption are those of you with Mille engines getting? The oil gauge on my Caponord seems wild and a couple of us are thinking that our engines are consuming a load of oil.

Dave  

By Befbever on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:18 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

If the bike's used to being thrashed, half a liter between services is not unusual. 

By Crmc33 on Friday, April 26, 2002 - 12:25 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Just treat it like a two-stroke, keep it up high in the rev range....and keep adding oil after every journey!

Seriously tho (I am serious once in while), I think the oil consumption may be related to oil grade, engine mileage and how hard its ridden. Getting an accurate oil level reading is difficult at the best of times with the Falco so If i can see some oil inthe tank tube then Im happy. I personally dont run the engine with much in the tank but I guess this doesnt make any difference to the amount used.

Is the Capo' well run in now? If so was it run on Fully-Synth Oil from early on? 

By Gpf on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 10:25 am:  View Gpf's Profile Search for other posts by Gpf Edit this post

Yesterday I actually did what the manual says: ran the Capo for 10 miles on country roads from cold and then checked the oil. Normally I do 50 miles on motorways and had been very concerned that it seemed to be using a fair bit of oil. Following the "approved method" the oil level sits exactly on the MAX line. Oops! 

By Guzzi on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 11:13 am:  View Guzzi's Profile Search for other posts by Guzzi Edit this post

Nice one - shows it helps to read the manual;)

Dave  

By Mark on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 07:53 am:  View Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Mark Edit this post

Trick is with Milles etc not to blip the throttle before you stop coz this pulls oil into the engine and gives a false reading. people top them up after having done this then oil starts getting blown everywhere through the breathers because there is to much. i know I'll forget this one day and do it!!  

By Falcofra on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 05:54 am:  View Falcofra's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofra Edit this post

My falco used about a litre of oil between 1000 and 4000 miles but now after 8000 miles it has stopped using oil.
I believe this is due to using synthetic oil which is designed to stop metal to metal contact between engine components, therefore, proper running in of the cylinder rings and bores may take up to 5000 miles.
I dont worry as long as I can see the oil level somewhere in the sight tube!
Fraser  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation