MCN weirdness

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: General Aprilia Chat: MCN weirdness
By Geo on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 03:41 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

For the last few days when I click on some of their links it tries to download an "enormous file" (that's what it's named) directly to my hard drive without asking for approval.
What's with that is it a virus?  

By Rsvdave on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 12:29 am:  View Rsvdave's Profile Search for other posts by Rsvdave Edit this post

I think it's an advert...

RSV Dave  

By Geo on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:35 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Bloody long file for an advert!
Didn't like that it downloads itself directly to the C drive without asking permission first.  

By Dave on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 07:54 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Plenty of stuff gets lownloaded! If your running Internet Explorer, go to the tools menu, click Internet Options at the bottom. In the dialog click the Settings button and in the next dialog click the View Files button, this shows all cookies and all other temp files, mine has over 6000 entries...  

By Geo on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 01:28 pm:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

I know Dave, but this file was over 1.5 Mb long, I've never see that before.  

By Dave on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 06:17 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

1.5 Mb

Hey Daz - looks like the janitor is still doing the mcn site! 

By Geo on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 06:45 am:  View Geo's Profile Search for other posts by Geo Edit this post

Mystery solved.
I let the download happen and it's just a popup pretending to be a long download, later it changes to an advert for broadband.  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation