Lucky Wall of Death Experience

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: General Aprilia Chat: Lucky Wall of Death Experience
By Richandall on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:17 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

The only excuse is a flimsy one: gales had swung the warning sign through 70 degrees and I didn�t spot it. Anyway, I read the road wrong and entered a 90 degree right hander with adverse camber rather too fast. Everything grounded out and still the grass kept approaching so I decided to let it have her, leaned up and rode into the scenery. What happened next was just incredibly lucky.

A soft grassy bank started rising under the bike, lifting her up and directing her back alongside the road. So she just followed the curve around, two feet above the road. Down to a safe speed, a big head shake as the tyres bit into the tarmac, and back on the power.

Phew!!

Total excursion, thirty feet. Last time I attempted to motocross (the Falco) it threw right me off. Must be getting more experienced. Or just luckier.

Photos to follow.

- Rich

By Richandall on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:28 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Oversized Image....

By Dave on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:33 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Bugger me, that sounded like fun - sometime later

My grass-tracking attempt ended with a broken gear linkage and a cracked bone in me right hand! Well done on keeping it together  

By Befbever on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 07:24 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

How many lives is that then, Rich?

By Hansie on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 10:29 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

If only that was on video!
Do you think you can do it again?

Hansie 

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 12:23 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I would have a go for the camera.......on Rich's bike 

By Richandall on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 03:34 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

OK I think these will upload. I drove back there afterwards to get them. Not sure how visible the track lines are so the marks are picked out on one shot. Couldn't do it again without some offroad instruction

Guilty secret #1 - bike & rider weighed in at 430Kg. The Falco would've gone round no problem, but the VTX1800C...no way!

Btw I'm told someone's going round E. Suffolk swinging road signs around so probably not the gales then. I've noticed this before with speed restrictions signs but never with warning signs. Another road hazard for bikers to watch out for, cos we do tend to press on a bit down the back lanes.

Btw Bef, nine lives seemed a lot at first, a bit like nine million pounds to a lottery winner. But after you've used up five you have to be a bit careful eh!

Looks ok from here
Missed the sign
A country excursion
Riding high 

By Befbever on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 08:43 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

You're lucky there wasn't any oncoming traffic as you were on the wrong side of the road!

Just kidding. Looks like the ideal line to take on a cruiser!
You had me thinking you were as Mental as Trev there when you said you had everything grounded but failed to mention you weren't on the Falco.

By Richandall on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 09:45 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Like, had to try it once on the cruiser

Looking at it again, it's an extended hairpin comprising two right angles and a short connecting bit. Bet that's why they banked the straight bit and turned the sign around

Next week I'll try it on the Falco followed by an ambulance

By Crmc33 on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 12:42 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Youre lucky there wasnt a tree in the way!

Im sure youre glad there wasnt! 

By Richandall on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 07:53 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Trees?? I'd have done my signature 'starburst' leap from the saddle

Used to practice it on gallops and got quite good, plus long walks back cracked ribs and then getting stuck in strange positions (usually in bed or half dressed...)

By Crmc33 on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 08:14 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

..and huge skid-marks  

By Daz on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 09:14 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Rich, I'm still speechless.... you are the man!! 

By Richandall on Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 09:47 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation