Did my second trackday...

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: General Aprilia Chat: Did my second trackday...
By Racerxlilbro on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:32 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

...on "the Fastest Road in the West," Willow Springs. It's 2.5 miles long, nine turns and 40' wide...a really fast track. I saw a Vmax of 140 MPH.

Turn 4 Willow Springs 

By Benw on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:36 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Even though it's inferior to the RED version, that blue falco does look damn fine!

B  

By Befbever on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 11:02 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

That's a great shot, Racerx! You actually look like you're going fast!
J/K, great style!

By Racerxlilbro on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:24 pm:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

LOL! Actually, it's my stand-in rider! SHHH!

I wonder if Jorge could reprint the dyno graph of the Falco with pipes and airkit. I was shifting at about 9,000 RPM. It didn't seem to matter whether I revved it to 10k plus, or not...plus, shifting at 9k meant the next gear was right in the meat of the powerband. I'd love to see the graph to know if I was imagining things...

Bef, yeah, I went pretty good...I ran in the 1 minute 40 second range... I'm thinking I would have been considerably faster if I'd been on a race compound tire. All of the others in the "fast group" were on some DOT-race tires...or in some cases slicks. All in all, I'm really pleased as it was my first time to a really big, fast track on a bike...and I did okay! 

By Powermaster on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:28 pm:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Wow, Brad soon you will be able to teach Jim how it's done

Aiiiiiiiiii  

By Racerxlilbro on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:34 pm:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

LOL! Yeaaaaaah, right.

Still, can't get my farking knee down...ah well, all in good time!

Hello, can you hear me now??? LMAO! Hey, where's the dyno graph, HUH??? 

By Benw on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:37 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Brad,

Don't worry about race compound tyres, the 010s do just fine on the track! If they weren't sliding or moving around big style then it's not worth going for racier tyres (sorry, tires...).

The BT010s are great tyres on the track. Period.

Glad you enjoyed yourself! 

By Myapriliarsv on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 07:16 pm:  View Myapriliarsv's Profile Search for other posts by Myapriliarsv Edit this post

Brad
Sweet pic! I would highly recommend a school like a California SuperBike or something along that if you want to get faster...it really helped me a lot.

As far as getting the knee down, don't worry about it. While at Cali SuperBike School I was behind an instructor that was extremely fast...his knee never touched...but it is a pretty kewl feeling the first time it touches down.

Jim

Oh and Jorge

LOL 

By Racerxlilbro on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 07:56 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Jim,

Yeah, I'm thinking pretty seriously about doing a school sometime next year...I'm thinking about Jason Pridmore's...I've heard lots of really good things about it...

About the knee...yeah...I got over it at the last track day, when I passed a guy around the outside of a long sweeper...he had his slider smoking on the pavement...BWAHAHAHA.

B,

Well, I had two pretty EXCITING slides on the 010's. I experienced my first two-wheel drift...didn't bother me at all. I'm wondering if race rubber would have a different profile, too???  

By Befbever on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 08:10 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Racerx, what Jim said.
Hm, he's wiser than I thought.

Race rubber's cheaper. You can buy them secondhand if it's only for trackdays. That's a big plus in my book!
Wears really really fast though. Anyone want to buy a rear tyre for a track with only left-handers?

I'm sure you got that picture blown up and hanging over your mantlepiece eh Racerx? It deserves it!

Btw, I shift at 9250 rpm, as per my dyno graph. Maybe your clutch was slipping a bit? 

By Benw on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:15 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

RcrX,

Wow, you must have really been giving it some beans! I'm suprised you had both ends sliding! I only had a couple of times where the rear was letting go on the way out of corners but it was controllable and consistent. You could always try running 012s for that little bit extra.

We'll have to call you Full Freddie from now on!

B 

By Daz on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 10:20 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Fantastic shot Brad!! Love the helmet too...!

Daz  

By Racerxlilbro on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:32 pm:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

DAZ! Where the hell have you been???

I figured you JICKY bastards would like my helmet! Yessir, Mr. Reade himself!

As for sliding...well, I went a bit deeper into the first turn and grabbed a fair bit of throttle...first the front tire slid, then the back did a bit...but it was pretty uneventful...except for the fact that it's a 100 MPH turn! LOL! 

By Singlesman on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 02:50 pm:  View Singlesman's Profile Search for other posts by Singlesman Edit this post

Hey Racer, that's a mighty fine Mick D. riding style you've got there. Now if you adopt a Jamie Wittham style, I think you'll find it's your elbow draging, never mind your knee!!! 

By Racerxlilbro on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 08:13 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Singlesman,

I'm flattered...but have no illusions. I'm still ass slow. I'm all about having fun and being sure I don't get in TOO far over my head! 

By Myapriliarsv on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 09:04 am:  View Myapriliarsv's Profile Search for other posts by Myapriliarsv Edit this post

Brad

How about I fly out west and we meet up at a two day Freddie Spencer School :)

By Racerxlilbro on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 11:24 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Jim,

You got a deal. What track? I've heard great things about California Speedway.

BN 

By Racerxlilbro on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 11:26 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Jim,

Double post...sorry.
BN 

By Myapriliarsv on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 07:13 am:  View Myapriliarsv's Profile Search for other posts by Myapriliarsv Edit this post

California SuperBike has courses at laguna :)  

By Racerxlilbro on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 11:21 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Jim,

Oh, that would SUCK! Here's an idea...what's on the schedule up there for the week leading up to the WSB races??? How cool would THAT be???

Brad  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation