TLR vs RSV/Falco

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: General Aprilia Chat: TLR vs RSV/Falco
By Dilbert996 on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 12:59 am:  View Dilbert996's Profile Search for other posts by Dilbert996 Edit this post

Just had my TLR written off!

I'm considering a switch to either RSV/Falco; has anyone made a similar change? Better or worse experience? Is the RSV pillion-friendly? All (sensible) opinions considered.....

Thanks

Dilbert996  

By Benw on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 05:38 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

You want a Falco you do!

Err, you can buy mine if you like...

Suits you sir!

B 

By Durangokid on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 05:40 am:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

I have ridden both and own the Falco.

Why? I like the styling of the Falco more. The Falco costs less. The insurance on the Mille is double here in Texas. Presumably, the Falco is more capable two up (which I haven't done) and is available with factory soft bags (which I Don't own).

I rode with a Mille R and two 929's yesterday. It's difficult to compare performance because all of the other riders were much more confident (read better) than me, former racers and all that.

I have never ridden the TLR but I have read that it has a lovely motor and let down by the chassis.

You won't have that problem with either the Mille or the Falco. The suspension is their strongest points. The rear shock on the Falco is crap, plan to replace that.

I will say this though. Side by side all day yesterday, the Falco garnered more attention than the Mille R. The Honda's went unnoticed.  

By Benw on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 05:58 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Where on earth does this shite about the rear shock being crap come from???? It's bouncy and it has some damping. What more could you want from a shock???

I'm sure that everybody reads that the shock is "crap" then goes out and feels some bumps on the road and then agrees with it - even if they didn't think there was anything wrong with it in the first place.

It ain't that bad - really.

B  

By Dilbert996 on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 07:08 am:  View Dilbert996's Profile Search for other posts by Dilbert996 Edit this post

OK
so everyone is built differently - that's GOOD!!
Everybody slags off the TLR, but once I sorted the suspension to MY liking, I had no problems with it!! I notice on the message boards that not everybody is happy with a standard bike, whatever flavour!!!

What I was trying to find out was whether anyone else had switched from TLR to RSV or Falco; which they preferred; whether they thought it was a good move (or any regrets??); pitfalls, what to look out for when checking out an Aprilia; the sidestand seems to be a minus point, for example........  

By Benw on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 07:16 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

I've not had a TLR but I had a 250LC before the Falco - that do?

I've ridden the infamous "killer" TL-S but just found it to be a cracking road bike that went like stink and handled well. The TL-S is very similar to the Falco. The Falco is slightly more comfy but there ain't too much in it.

The RSV is a pretty commited bike to ride and own - not so relaxed.

Oh yeah, the rear shock isn't as bad as some people reckon...

B 

By Durangokid on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 08:14 am:  View Durangokid's Profile Search for other posts by Durangokid Edit this post

My mistake...

The rear shock on the Falco is not crap. I am now convinced that it is all in my head. [Shut up, no you shut up (sorry, those damn voices again)]

Hey this clip art stuff is fun!

Benw, aren't you trying to sell your Falco? Does it have the original shock?  

By Benw on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 08:23 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Bugger, you found me out...

Still don't agree about the shock though!

B 

By Scotty on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 09:45 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Sorry to give you a kick in the teeth (as it were) but get the new SV1000 instead of the falco mate.... you'll save yourself a lot of time and effort in the long run.

Unless of course you want the hassle of niggling little faults, a warranty that basically doesn't help you and a p*sspoor aftersales service. When everything works its a fantastic ride but just don't add too many miles cos things go wrong and would seem to follow failure patterns...

Ben, why are you selling your falco? I thought that you loved the bike? 

By Benw on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 10:04 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

I do love the bike but I'm doing loads of miles and want something a little less focused.

I'll certainly miss the great handling and torquey motor but all good things must come to an end...

I'm still looking at the 1150GS Beemer.

B  

By Befbever on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 10:44 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Tell you one thing, Beemer Boy, reliability isn't high on BMW's list, contrary to general opinion.
Most of the BMW riders are old farts who take good care they don't overrev the thing. But in the hands of hooligans such as your good self, these things break like they never heard of Deutsche Gründlichkeit.

With all due respect to those fine gentlemen on BMW's I encounter every day.
The worse the weather gets, the less idiots on R1's and other 916's are to be seen.
Only Beemers, Pans and 1 red noisy Falco remain.
Old gits rule!  

By Powermaster on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 12:41 pm:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Ben, that job of yours is changing you{

I've just ridden a Falco for an hour and,and, well, I did  

By Scottaride on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 07:11 pm:  View Scottaride's Profile Search for other posts by Scottaride Edit this post

Hi Dilbert
I've ridden lots of TLRs and just sold my TLs to get a 2002 RSV, so I can give you a good comparison.

My TLs had an Ohlins rear shock and re worked forks and was a great bike. But the RSV is significantly better.

I also do alot of 2up with my wife (I'm of course refering to motorcycling) and pillion comfort was a very important consideration when buying. And the RSV is actually quite comfortable for a pillion. But I'd spend $15 and get a pillion belt or buddy belt. They are much better than using a grab rail. The RSV also has a nice wide seat. Actually she has lasted 5 hours or more without complaint.... lasted about the same as a pillion too

Once de-restricted and with a new can you'll also probibly find the RSV quicker on the road than the TLR. Im not saying it has as much Hp, but the RSV seems to put the power down very well. At the track last weekend there were 3 TLRs and the RSV could get past all of them down the back straight. (Im not wanting to start a debate here on the TLR Vs RSV grunt, just telling you my experience)

RSV is also smoother.

Having done the deal myself I've never looked back. The RSV is a great bike and you wont regret getting one.

Scott 

By Befbever on Monday, October 07, 2002 - 11:07 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Quote:

I've just ridden a Falco for an hour and,and, well, I did

And?????????
Go on! Is the RSV for sale now?

Sir Ben of W.,
I can't help think the new SVMille1000 is right up your alley: more comfy, more upright seating position, caravan mirrors, and above all, not quite as expensive as an R1150GS and probably more reliable. You already know the engine and an airkit and/or exhaust won't be a problem.

Just make sure you know a good painter for on a day with no wind, you can hear a Suzuki corroding.

Hope this helps.  

By Powermaster on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 01:12 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Yes, I was impressed, it's probably the best value for money, bike in the market, I would do a few changes to the riding position, particularly to the handle bars, as it felt quite painfull to my wrists, just it's position more than anything, I would not qualify the bike as a tourer, it felt very much like a sport, in comparision with the TLR, the Falco feels a lot lighter. Handling is very smooth and the power just like the RSV. This Falco belongs to a client and is fully kitted with Pipes and Airkit, Ohlins rear is also another add on, so I cannot comment on the original set up.
There has been a lot of talk about the Airkit noise, so this was my opportunity to find out.
At a steady speed of 80 MPH all I could feel/hear was a lot of wind comming from the windscreen, this surprised me and I feel that the requests for a better screen makes a lot of sense, as for the Airkit noise, I had to keep telling myself that I was on a Prila and not on a Duc, as for anyone who rode a 916 series would feel no diffence, as the noise is exactly the same.
So would I buy one instead of a TLR? I wouldn't even think twice.
Would I buy a Falco or a RSV? If insurance and costs were not the issue, I would go for the RSV.
Why? Because I could get an import for the same price.
Warranty has never bother me, nor the lack of getting parts, there is a site here and Bef in Belgium to make sure I would get them 

By Befbever on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 03:38 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Three years on and now he rides a Falco.

Quote:

I feel that the requests for a better screen makes a lot of sense

I don't agree, Jorge. I had a Thundercat before this and the wind noise was just the same. Only the shoulders catch more wind than on the Cat.
I usually don't get behind the bubble until 220 kph or so.
Might be the Pan that's telling you this. Ride an R1/R6 next and feel the difference in wind protection.
Or maybe next time wear a helmet.

Other than that, nice article!

Although I have no idea why you would prefer an RSV if the price was the same. Don't looks count for something?

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 03:48 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

yeh, why pay more for a bike with a bent swingarm?

I still dont believe that the RSV swinger is much stiffer than the Falco's extruded version. Its definately not 'mushy' 

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 03:49 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Either way , the Falco or Mille doesnt have a duck's arse so is better than a TLR 

By Hansie on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 10:19 am:  View Hansie's Profile Search for other posts by Hansie Edit this post

Windscreen noise , I'm far above that!

Bef's right , owning also a SV650S (girlfrend offcourse) corroding like hell : frontforks ,swingarm , all alu parts actually also all nuts and bolts. But still nice to drive it in the twisty stuff!

Hansie 

By Tlrjsp on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 07:16 pm:  View Tlrjsp's Profile Search for other posts by Tlrjsp Edit this post

I got a highly modded TL-R and a Mille SP. Both are great bikes..the TL hits harder in the upper revs--the Mille out handles the TL-R in stock form. I think you'll be happy with the Mille or the Falco  

By Dilbert996 on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 02:43 am:  View Dilbert996's Profile Search for other posts by Dilbert996 Edit this post

Thanks for all your inputs, peeps!! Unless I can find a mint year-old & less than 1000 dry mile TLR, I think I will go for the ............. and post a picture when I get it!!

Thanks again

Dilbert996 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation