Hairrazinrockshoddinfekmethastoomuchofuno...

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: General Aprilia Chat: Hairrazinrockshoddinfekmethastoomuchofuno...
By Dave on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 01:18 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Yep...

Oct 19, Donnington national, 100% bikes
places left in all groups

www.100pc.co.uk
0870 8722532

me & 2 mates in van so far, & its a Saturday - garanteed to be wet...  

By Befbever on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 05:40 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

You still own a Falco then Dave?

By Befbever on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:56 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Oops! Misunderstood ya there. So it's a van race then? Are you in the fast (food) group then?

By Dave on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:34 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

the van's for the beer Beffy - you should know that...

btw, this time I won't be looking for chickens...

Do me a favor H, save me looking thru reems of posts - what's the latest on slipping clutches, and is there a definitive cure?  

By Befbever on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 05:43 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Click me dammit!

'ope this 'elps. 

By Dave on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 09:08 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

cheers B. looks like new - standard - clutch going in next weekend - frictions & steels, ppf diaphram, springs and bearing being replaced too, + will try 10w40.

Just watched WSB - fkin outrageous!!! 

By Befbever on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 10:31 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Good call on the bearing. I think it may even cause the clutch to slip. But what do I know?

I'm waiting for word from the importer - see if they'll pay for the bearing and the work. If not: I know a guy who'll do it for me and while the engine's open.....

Great racing Mr. Edwards! Respect!
Respect to the Duckie's as well. They didn't do their homework like Honda did however. All that power from bigger exhausts and different maps, now where have I heard that before?  

By Dave on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 05:08 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

I've been quotedthe following for parts, vat to be added -
frictions 54 (RSV 178)
steels 41
springs 18
diaphram 34
bearing 9
= 148
I'll see how this goes with the 10w40, Steve of HN reckons the springs loose 12/20 % over 5K miles then settle down, that will see winter thru so poss rsv frictions/barnet clutch if still slipping in spring.

so while the engine's open quoi? Sir has some other tasty treats for his pet in mind?

re Donnington on the 19th - no takers? On a Saturday, two weeks after the BSB finale - which is at Donnington???  

By Befbever on Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 08:24 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Sorry Dave, not yet!
Re the track day: I'm hoping to be at Brands for a clubrace soon (hidden agenda ) but I don't know the exact date.

I measured my springs when I changed the clutch and they were like new. 

By Dave on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 08:24 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Re Donington this Sat, for anyone who may still be interested and missed the thread Falco-side, is still on, Tinkytot also going. Weather looks like being great.

By Mr_Venjer on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 09:46 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Dave, put me down. I'm going in the inters. The weather seems to have cleared up somewhat so I am now going - hopefully with a guy on a Fireplace.

Come on down the price is right !!

Got my Bridgestone BT012SSs on monday - so far so good.

Venjer  

By Dave on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:42 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Coool! You going up Fri or Sat? I'm hoping to leave around 2pm Friday and follow the A6 from Luton to Lester - save the centre of the tyres a little. Just sent you my mobile, gimme a phone if you can make it.

I'm starting in novice but hopefully will bump up before lunch to give you some competition  

By Befbever on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:47 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Be sure to wave at Mr_Venjer when you pass him on the straight.

Ahem, saving the centre of the tyres? What do you need that for on Donny?

By Dave on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:54 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Any excuse for not using the motorway?  

By Daz on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 06:39 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Ow!!! I was so tempted until I saw the price! - I'm going to be made redundant next week so I have to be sensible.

Have a great time guys!

Daz 

By Crmc33 on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 06:57 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

sorry to hear that Daz!

Does that mean we'll be seeing more from you on this ere site? 

By Daz on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 07:00 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Maybe dude! What's happening with your jobs?  

By Befbever on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 07:01 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Sorry to hear that Daz. Or should I be happy you finally move on to bigger and better things?

Ahem. Daz being sensible. Now that I'd like to see! 

By Crmc33 on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 07:09 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Its looking likely I'll be toddling back to blighty in the new year. With me Falco nestling under me arm of course

Have you got anything in the pipeline? 

By Daz on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 07:09 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

LOL!! Thanks bef!!

Yes, you know me and how things are here - I'm incredibly excited to be honest!! Can hardly wait!! 

By Befbever on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 07:13 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Why don't you two 'chaumeurs' get together and do something with your talents. If any.

A small percentage of the profits for the idea would be appreciated. 

By Daz on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 07:18 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Coming back to blighty is the last resort I hope crmc!

Just one thing, consulting for an out-sourcing co. - not sure if the position is still available though. If it is, and there are more I shall let you know. 

By Mr_Venjer on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 12:08 pm:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Dave, did you send me an email ? I haven't got it if you did.

What time and where should I meet you in the morning ?

Kevin

PS. sod off Beffy ! There will be no waving at me when/if anyone gets past me. I now have curved tyres again and my 16T sprocket back on.  

By Dave on Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 06:22 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

The look on Kevin's face - 8:30 Sat morning, after riding up from London! I came out the George to a healthy layer of frost on the seat and was glad I'd came up the night before - 5 miles to the paddock! Mr TinkyTot also came up from London in the morning - nice to meet you Rob, you up for Brands then?

Donington, to me as a relatively long in the tooth type but also relatively new to tracks type - 4 over last two summers - was definately more exiting than Rockingham but not quite so hairy as Cadwell. Redgate I never quite got the hang of, Craner curves totally aweome, having gotten the old harepin reasonably sussed and the following left handers, the breaking spot at the top became particularely uncomftable as entry speed went up and there's not much room to slam the anchors before diving into the right. This was the only place I came close to a real brown pants moment! No Marlbourgh loop, and just couldn't seem to lay off the late breaks enough to get the right-left between the two straights right. Wayhey, and that sharp blind right just after the crest!

I got the laptimer in action - thanks K - but I made the mistake of choosing the Dunlop Bridge to click - dip makes the front light plus very close to up shift point, so changed to 'the clock' next session. As I've no lights left in the dash I have to wait to morning to check laptimes, handbook in hand. Some mates were timing us on a mobile, me at 1:33, Kevin under 1:30 and my buddy on the gsxr750 in the teens, going back soon to S Africa to race on it.
Kevin, I believe you made a substantial improvement over your initial figures of 1:33, 27 was it? I've been elected to go down the Antipidean household to plug the camera into the number cruncher, I'll look out for footage of ya. This lad's obviously improved over the year, definately no waving down the straight Bef! How was it in inters then K? I chickened out in the end and stayed in novice - the few times I was passed I learned from chasing someone more sussed than me so looking forward to inters next time.

Anyone interested in doing a school next year in the spring? Ben, would that grab the interest of the rags? Bunch of Falcos thundering round...  

By Befbever on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 12:54 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Hey Dave, glad you and Kevin and Tinky had fun! Glad to stand corrected on the top speed issue. Jorge'll be glad as well, gets Kevin off his back .

I never knew there was a Marlborough loop. I know there's a Melbourne loop...

That blind entry into Coppice corner looks really difficult. But you can open the throttle once you're in and slide out of there real nice, can't you? Oops, that's that Playstation 2 again .

I visited another old circuit yesterday for a 3-hour Endurance race. There was ice on the track during the first hour! Luckily it didn't snow.

With one lap to go, the second placed team crashed in this corner. And this is a corner you don't want to have a moment in!

Le Raidillion 

By Crmc33 on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:01 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

If Im workin back in the UK next year, I'll definately be up for a Donington meet. Ive never been round altho I live that close I can hear the bikes going round from my bedroom window.
....Our classic club could never afford to race there! 

By Dave on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 02:12 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Beffy, thank You for the correction, my old memory... and that corner does look interesting - is that wall made of - wall?

As for top speed, Kevin was showing 135mph so not quite at the point where he was having a problem. Mine's showing 130 , Rob 139 - gotta get me corner speed up - MORE TRACKDAYS!  

By Befbever on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:54 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

It's a tyre wall I think. But the trees are made of wood and the armco barriers are made of steel if that helps .

Tinky's top speed (Falco Sports-Tourer) is higher than Kevin's (RSV-R with Ohlins expensive bits)?
Forgive me if I

Nice corner speed Tinky!

Mr_Venjer,
Dave made me do it!  

By Dave on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 04:03 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

sorry Kevin, honest...

(titter) 

By Mr_Venjer on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 11:59 pm:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Ok. Permission to laugh granted Bef and Dave. I am a happy chappy still.

I froze my nuts off going up there but it was well worth it. I asked to go straight in the inters but there were about 50 already in it so it was novice or fast. I chose novice.

Met Tinky and said hello, found Dave and his pals too. Having done the track before on a CBR 600 (Ron Haslam school) I thought I would remember it but nope.

Anyway, the first couple of sessions I was lapping 1:35 secs and lapped most people twice. Never lapped Dave though - damned Falco.

At lunch they put me in the inters. It was the first session after lunch. I had giant rabbit eating butterflies in my stomach. I figured that even if I don't overtake anyone I can learn some bits. Tinky had told me how fast the fast group were and how demoralised he was.

I took things easy for the first few laps to suss them out then I opened up the throttle. Imagine my suprise when I I overtook all bar about 2 riders - most around the outside of corners. The confidence I got from my bike and the BT012SSs was extrmely high. I managed to scrape my footpeg too around Redgate corner.

I lapped 1:27 once and near it the rest of the session. I spoke to Tinky again who gave me some tips for Redgate and the Craner Curves. I must have overtaken about 15 bikes at one point at the Craner curves in one session.

I thought I could get quicker though as I was not using the width of the track. Got to the Craner Curves and did the first right - left. Near the edge of the track for the next right but going way too fast !! Shouldl _I crank it over and hope or scrub off speed and hope ? I went to scrub off speed - stayed upright entering the kitty litter - bike snaking all over the shop. I cannae hol' it cap'n ! down I went just in front of the tyre wall.

The only damage was my right indicator snapped off. It took me 10 minutes to get the bike going again - I thought it was fukked. That red button on the right side, the cut off button. Bastad. I forgot all about it, it doesn't do anything with that pressed in does it

I was fine, sat out rest of session, did the last one and rode off into the sunset with the girl

Thank you all for your time.

Bef, I managed 135 vmax on the circuit. I put the 16T sprocket back on for more grunt and it feels superb. I didn't do a cannonball run on the way home so I don't know if I can break my 143 mph yet. Nice to meet Tinkytot and friend, Dave again and his mates.

Kevin 

By Dave on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 05:42 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

Kevin - I never really got the chance to ask how you were getting on in the afternoon, apart from after your off - quote of the day "I'm determined not to come off" hehe, also determined to push limits

Sounds like I should have joined you!

Re the fast group, a lot of them had tyre warmers so they were flat out from the start - nice when your on cold tyres!

ps, email? 

By Tinkytot on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 06:28 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

How was Bournemouth Kevin? As rammed with lovely ladies as you'd hoped.

Busy at the mo I'll post something in 2 shakes of a lambs tail.  

By Mr_Venjer on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 09:35 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Dave, the inters was a breeze to be honest. I thought I would struggle to overtake people but it was easy. There were 2 or 3 that I could not overtake but they didn't do me either. I noticed more people on the throttle earlier and on the brakes later. Glad I went up. I know I gave that speech about not coming off - I cursed myself obviously. excellent day though.

Tinkytot, went down to Bounemouth, got there at 23:30. I have never seen the quantity and quality of women that I saw in the club we went to. I could not believe my eyes. I have proposed a part 2 this weekend.

Left there at 02:00 and got to central London for 03:30. Went to Fabric in Farringdon until 10:00 and slept the rest of sunday.

What a weekend !!

Kevin  

By Tinkytot on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:06 am:  View Tinkytot's Profile Search for other posts by Tinkytot Edit this post

It was so cold and miserable on the ride up I was crying into my helmet. And it was dark. It was funny though, when we were doing the briefing one bloke was shaking so violently it took him 4 go's to light his smoke. That cheered me up no-end.

I was rather despondent in the morning sessions, the fast group was really fast and I must admit that I did not enjoy it as much as I do terrorising everyone in the inters (I suppose you have to step up at some point eh!). It's stupid, I know because I was much faster on Saturday but overtaking people is soooo good for the ego. I had to swollow my ego straight away.

A lad came to have a chat early on as he had been following me for a while and wondered what the hell the falco was, all he knew was that it was very fast (I repeatedly left him on corner exit and down the strights) and ugly from behind (cheeky git).
He was on an R6 race bike and, once he'd sussed out my weaknesses, soon got by me and dissapeared into the distance. This guy informed me that he was flat out from redgate all through craner curves, I was nowhere near flat out there - and, yes, thats where he would get me every time.
He helped me with a few things and I was much faster by the afternoon and really enjoyed the last 3 sessions and was managing to hold onto all but 3 or 4 guys who were so much faster than everyone else it was ridiculous.

I told Kevin the received wisdom about craner curves, he came back after the next session saying how fast he was through there (I could hear the Mille screaming down there so I believed him), next time out he crashed at that very spot, does that make me responsible? I say the guy that told me is responsible, I�d tap him up for a new indicator kev.

Dave�s falco sounded the biz, burbling down the start finish straight. Kevin�S Mille was popping and cracking and it did�nt look as though he was topping 80.

The 12SS�s were great, I mentioned to one of the fast guys that when I had 207RR�s on I could feel the bike moving around as it started to lose grip and the 12SS�s were not. I was informed that the 12SS�s would do the same, I just was�nt pushing them hard enough, he was right they did. And that was probably responsible for the good top speed, getting hard on it on the exit from coppice and down the dunlop straight.

Dave I think I will be up for Brands, it's scandelous, I know, but I have to quieten the exhausts down a bit. So a trip to renegade is on the cards anyway.

The bike ran a treat despite the thrashing of it's life so far and I now formally like it again.

I must tell you all how hardcore Kev is, 5:30am start, 120mile ride, trackday (with crash), 120 mile ride home, 10pm drive to bournemouth and then return to another club in London for 3am.

I had planned on stying in but was inspired by such bravery and tenacity and went out also.

- rob. 

By Befbever on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:00 pm:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Nice report Tinkytot, guess you're glad you didn't go for an RSV eh?
Eh?

But Kevin's a real hero isn't he? Made me tired just reading about it.  

By Dave on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 03:06 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

For those of you who landed shit photos from Clayton at Rockingham, they got it right at Donington. Here's a selection for your viewing pleasure...

one

two

three

There were NO duplicates this time, and he'd obviously been all round the track.

As for me, next time I'm thinking of having my knees surgically removed and holding them out on the end of a stick... 

By Exdukenut on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 06:48 pm:  View Exdukenut's Profile Search for other posts by Exdukenut Edit this post

Maybe you should get a black one, after all they are faster! 

By Dave on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 08:20 pm:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

hehe, thankyou Ex, I fart in your general direction

btw, one may notice how close the pipe is to the left side of the swingarm, whereas one may also notice how much room there is on the right, and providing one ain't been on the JD, one might just assume that there should be more pipes on the right  

By Befbever on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 08:04 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

I whole-heartedly agree about the pipes, Boet!

Btw, the photographer's shutter speed was so high that it looks as if you've got dirtbike tyres.
Maybe he wanted to get that focused look in your eyes just right. It worked!

By Dave on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:17 am:  View Dave's Profile Search for other posts by Dave Edit this post

'Focused'  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation