Renegade Airkit - cleaning fluid??

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: General Aprilia Chat: Renegade Airkit - cleaning fluid??
By Benw on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 12:45 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

A question to those of you out there with the Rene airkit - what do you clean the filter with?

Paraffin? Seems the logical solution.

Anyone use owt else?

B  

By Mark on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 01:54 am:  View Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Mark Edit this post

I wouldnt use Paraffin personally. A low flash point solvent is better, probably best to ask Jorge what to use.  

By Benw on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 03:17 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

I don't want any flashing at all!

Solvents might attack the glue holding the filter parts together.

I 'spose I could get some of the castrol foam filter cleaner...

B  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 04:04 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Sounds like that should do the job.

Either that or use a can of nitromors and a blast with a 600psi compressed air line. That should clean the bugga

I'd do it sooner rather than later. Just think of the weight saving once youve cleaned all that dust out of the filter! 

By Benw on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 05:53 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Paraffin is the stuff. Called Jorge and that's what he says.

Ok, gonna go clean it now, see how much crap there was hiding away in there...

I could probably lose more weight by sneezing!

B 

By Salkhan on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 06:31 am:  View Salkhan's Profile Search for other posts by Salkhan Edit this post

K&N filter cleaner should do the trick as well.  

By Powermaster on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 06:53 am:  View Powermaster's Profile Search for other posts by Powermaster Edit this post

Ben is on a freelance job, he can not afford K&N  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 07:05 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I once cleaned the brake disks n calipers on my CBR600FM with parafin. I went out for a ride to the pub and when I got there the brakes were smoking and had gone bright blue!
Looked well cool to passers-by!

Not so good for the brakes tho or for keeping clean underwear when the lever came back to the bar (the fluid was boiling too).

Im much more sensible these days (as Im sure youve noticed).

I use WD40 now instead 

By Racerxlilbro on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 07:25 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

***I use WD40 now instead***

Daz, you hear that? Maybe this is your solution! Oil the brakes! 

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 01:39 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

Ben,

dont forget to re-oil the filter once you've washed it. I always use warm pork dripping on my filter as its runny when warm but firm n sticky once set. This almost sounds convincing!

HTH.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation