Fuel mileage limit found.........

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: General Aprilia Chat: Fuel mileage limit found.........
By Diablo_Mille_R on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 01:47 am:  View Diablo_Mille_R's Profile Search for other posts by Diablo_Mille_R Edit this post

I found out exactly how much mileage I can get from a tank of fuel, and how much it takes to fill up an empty tank this morning.......

I'll start at the beginning. I commute 24 miles each way every day. About 5 miles fom home last night the fuel light was blinking, and by the time I was home it was glowing all the time. Due to major road works in Didcot it is a pain in the butt to get to Tesco now for fuel (loooong delays at traffic lights).

I got on the bike this morning, fuel light glowing and thought 'It's only 24 miles, and the light has only just come on' so set off. I figured I'd get to work, then fill up just outside work on the way home.

Coming out of Blewbury up the hill I saw a bloke pushing an old BMW thing, so stopped to help. He said the battery was flat and he stalled it at the traffic lights there and was just pushing it to the brow to roll it down the hill. Fair enough, off he went and got going so I carried on.

Usual blast down the back roads, into the grind at Goring then down through Pangbourne onto the M4 Jct 12 near Theale. Mucho respect to the dude on the CB250 this morning with his footpegs on the floor at the Theale roundabout.

Onto the M4 and into the outside lane at 80mph. Then it happened, bike starts missing. Oh arse, stuck in the outside lane in heavy traffic, and just gone past Reading services.....

Bike starts slowing so I duck into the inside lane so I can run slowly and also dive onto the hard shoulder if I need to. A mile further on it dies, so I find neutral, switch off ign and coast as far as I can, just in sight of the 1 mile marker sign for Jct 11, my get off. OK, sit and think for a bit. About 1 1/4 miles to Jct 11, then the nearest fuel stop is 1 mile from there. 2 miles of pushing heavy bike, not fun me thinks.

I waggle the bike a bit in the hope some vapour is in there, thumb the starter and bingo, she fires up. Into gear, clutch out and straight up to 6th gear on tickover, roling up the hard shoulder at 20mph. I get to the half mile board and it stalls again. Oh well, less to push! I figure there is probably still more fuel in there so wait, thumb starter and sure enough she fires up again. This time I make it to the traffic lights at the top of Jct 11. Red light so I switch off. I'm panning it now as I am in heavy traffic, no escape from the 4 lane sliproad and the bike probably won't start. Green lights, thumb starter, and it starts again!! Cool, blast to 30mph then into neutral, switch off and coast all the way past Worldcom park to the lights at the bottom of the hill so I can turn past Compaq. I dare not turn it off now as it MUST be on vapour. Sat at the red lights and it stalls. Bugger. I desperately press the starter but she will not fire. I know there is a shell station just past Compaq, and it must only be 200 yards away, c'mon baby, please fire. Wahey, one more time she starts and I get to the lights on the corner of compaq, where I can now see the oasis that is the shell garage. Red light again, she dies and that is it. Refuses to start, but hey-ho, a 50 yards push and I am on the forecourt. 17.2 litres of finest unleaded (I thought it was an 18 litre tank?) and 145.9 miles since the last fuel stop.

Lessons learnt:
1. 25 miles from fuel light is getting close to the limit
2. If you do run out, you can get another 2 or 3 miles by stop/start riding
3. You can only get 17.2 litres in an 18 litre tank

Happy hooning,
RichDMR 

By Befbever on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 01:59 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Blimey, Rich, you'd think you never read any of the stories from people running out of fuel on their Mille's.

I've got about the same distance to cover and there's no way I'm not going for petrol if the light's on when I start her up. But that's just me.
Btw, I've never run out.  

By Diablo_Mille_R on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 02:18 am:  View Diablo_Mille_R's Profile Search for other posts by Diablo_Mille_R Edit this post

What stories, I've never heard of anyone running out.....?

It's now the 4th time in my life I've run out of petrol, and 3 have been on motorways

Anyway, no harm done, lesson learnt, only a 50 yard push and I was still in work on time. For my next trick...... 

By Scotty on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 02:45 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Did about 28 miles total with the fuel light showing last year in France and got just over 18L in the falcos 19L tank.

I'm happy to do 20miles with the fuel light showing without even thinking about it, any more is pushing it and would only be done in an emergency.  

By Diablo_Mille_R on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 02:49 am:  View Diablo_Mille_R's Profile Search for other posts by Diablo_Mille_R Edit this post

Quote:

any more is pushing it

How right you are Scotty 

By Richandall on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 08:01 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

Rich, you are a living example of the old adage that it's better to travel hopefully than to arrive

Did you ever run out of gas in your chopper days?

What's your next project? Crossing the channel in an RSV-R powered bath tub?

- Rich

By Diablo_Mille_R on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 01:24 pm:  View Diablo_Mille_R's Profile Search for other posts by Diablo_Mille_R Edit this post

Ahh Rich, you got me thinking now, V-twin powered bath crossing the channel for charideee...any got a spare bath and Mille motor....? 

By Spoof on Friday, June 28, 2002 - 01:44 pm:  View Spoof's Profile Search for other posts by Spoof Edit this post

hhhmmn... Make it a hot-tub, then you've got something.  

By Falcofra on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 01:22 pm:  View Falcofra's Profile Search for other posts by Falcofra Edit this post

Ran out 3 times on my Falco, coasted to a garage each time (honest). Between 22 and 25 miles from light on constantly to empty.
Fra.  

By Crmc33 on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 10:41 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

I ran out soon after getting the Falco. I managed to do the same as DMR with stop-starting on the button. I did manage to get 18 litres in the tank tho. I think the falco is meant to hold 18.1 litres in reality, so bear that in mind when filling up.
I like how the Falco keeps you fit 

By Richandall on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 02:06 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

And the advertised 18 litre tank shrinks to 13 unless you trickle the last 5 in which takes ten times longer than first 5 litres and proves that

S -0 J[abcde]÷{ABCDE- uvwxyz}¹0

excepting on alternate fridays (and bank holidays unless they fall on a day not normally being a holiday) provided Planning Directive PD97/EC of the European Parliament concerning the Protection of Bikers for their Own Good Subsection 9/II/15 applies, sight of which Directive may be requested at your Planning Office on alternate tuesdays excepting where this falls on a normal working day.

Sorry guys, just experienced another attack of paralysing boredom. Better now.

- Rich

Do the Shake and Vac and put the Freshness Back

By Crmc33 on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 02:34 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

The local planning office is also open on alternate late night thursdays depending where you are as this will have a large effect on where your local planning office is and as such may not be valid if you are one or all of the following;
(i)a non UK resident
(ii)non-human
(iii)owing the inland revenue for you fuel tank taxation (rebate pending may affect this)
(iv)asleep
(v)moved onto another thread
(vi)a non-Aprilia rider
(vii)Gerald from Basingstoke

OPE DIS ELPS 

By Richandall on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 03:25 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

And makes a very good argument for stayin' out from that Euro-cracy

Do the Shake and Vac and put the Freshness Back

By Crmc33 on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 03:58 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

too right captain mainwaring

Who is Donkey Hotey? 

By Richandall on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 05:04 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

A Rusty Goodnight with a Trusty Lance

By Crmc33 on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 05:32 am:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

it all makes sense now 

By Richandall on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 07:57 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

By Deksawyer on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 02:03 pm:  View Deksawyer's Profile Search for other posts by Deksawyer Edit this post

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but after fitting the Rene airkit and an Arrow slip-on, my bike (2000 RSV) can do almost 150 miles per tank (it's nearly there now and the warning light has only been on solid for 5 miles or so....And that's with me doing a bit of every sort of riding, including a top speed run (ran out of road!!).

I think that the earlier bikes had a 22ltr tank, or maybe just 20, but it sure makes a difference!!

Has anyone else who's fitted the airkit noticed an increase in fuel economy??

D.  

By Richandall on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 02:28 am:  View Richandall's Profile Search for other posts by Richandall Edit this post

I have a Y2k year of manufacture Falco (with pipes & airkit) and made the mistake of adding the 4 litre reserve to the quoted 18 litre tank capacity. Soon discovered it's an inclusive figure. I'd be more than somewhat surprised if Aprilia had changed anything let alone the tank size unnecessarily as their philospophy is long standardised production runs (good for them, IMO).

I reckon you're getting an amazing fuel economy at over 10 miles/litre as I don't get above 8, tho people do reckon 80mpg is possible on a proper economy run.

Watch out for the oil level tho, cos it seems to drop quicker one you fit those quick pipes and airkit.

- Rich  

By Deksawyer on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 03:01 am:  View Deksawyer's Profile Search for other posts by Deksawyer Edit this post

I filled up this morning with 152 mles on the clock and managed to squeeze £11 worth of fuel in, that's almost 15 litres if my very dodgy arithmatic serves me right. Amazing!!

And Rich you're right about the use of oil when the pipes/airkit has been fitted, mine was perilously low last night.....

D.  

By Scotty on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 03:36 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Deksawyer - Falco manual says it holds 19litres...

The RSV holds 20 litres (according to manual) therefore given the same engine as the falco will travel further before the fuel light comes on and you need to fill up.

This would explain why the RSV guys get on average better miles per tank figures than us falco owners

Would also seem that the 2001 onward RSV +R has an 18litre tank as per DMR's first post 

By Dangerous on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 04:47 am:  View Dangerous's Profile Search for other posts by Dangerous Edit this post

I have a Rene airkit and regularly see 10 miles/litre, indeed, coming home from the Scotland trip, I got what worked out to 50 mpg, with my 20l tank this equates to an incredible 220 mile tank range!!!
Not tested it to dry to check though.
I was getting similar mileage with the standard airbox too. Maybe I have to ride as fast as you guys?

Dangerous  

By Daz on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 06:36 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

*BOAST ALERT*

The Fazer 600 has a 22 litre tank - did over 220 miles on 13 quid! STUNNING!  

By Scotty on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 07:55 am:  View Scotty's Profile Search for other posts by Scotty Edit this post

Daz you're still running it in!  

By Daz on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 08:20 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Supposedly...  

By Crmc33 on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 11:27 pm:  View Crmc33's Profile Search for other posts by Crmc33 Edit this post

In Daz's case, I think you mean wearing it in.....especially the engine covers on the tarmac

soz Daz I couldnt resist 

By Racerxlilbro on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 06:58 am:  View Racerxlilbro's Profile Search for other posts by Racerxlilbro Edit this post

Funny, I thought it was me...Yes, I think the bike gets better mileage with the airkit in place. I have to fill up tonight, and will let everyone know, but I ran over 120 miles without the low fuel light coming on...and that's a first. I'm perplexed about the oil consumption issue, though... I'll check that tonight as well...Hmmm....  

By Daz on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 07:56 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

hehe, I was waiting for that crmc, ya bastid!

Paint is on it's way BTW 

By Befbever on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 09:30 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Racerx, you're supposed to rev it, didn't Jorge tell you?

No seriously, people, you may get better mpg with the cans and the kit if you do the same speeds as you did before, but what's the fun in that I wonder?

Oil consumption hasn't gone up, although the bike's being ridden harder and the oil's thinner now.
Just my two cents.

By Mark on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 02:07 am:  View Mark's Profile Search for other posts by Mark Edit this post

I got over 300 miles to a tank once...............

Mind you it was an Africa twin

You seem to be getting around 38-45ish to the gallon which ispretty good. My friend with a 2002 RSVR says hes lucky to see over 120 miles to a tank! 

By Jcc273 on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 04:32 am:  View Jcc273's Profile Search for other posts by Jcc273 Edit this post

Just back from Nova Scotia on my Falco where the riding is fast and twisty and the RCMP few and far between. I thought my low-fuel light was broken! 166 miles till the light came on, 15.3 litres.
-Jim  

By Mr_Venjer on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:56 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

I refuse to believe any of you !! How come I got 58 miles before the light ? This is riding purely in central London. Now I admit I like to open her up a bit but lets be fair, how fast can you ride in central London anyway ? I am fast but sensible.

I usually get about 70 before the light then another 20. I know this because once I tried to get 21 and ended up having to push the bike to a petrol station.

I only EVER get 100 miles on motorway trips, about 120 - 130 before the light.

You must all be changing gears at 3000 revs and getting to 5th and plodding along. How can you stand the rattling though ??!!

Kevin 

By Benw on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 11:06 pm:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

120-130 before the light comes on is normal on open type roads.

I'm extremely glad I don't ride in a major city! I have to cross Leicester each day, but that's only for 7 miles! The other 40 are fast and fun.

Get a moped for in the city and take the RSVRRVRRRVVR thingy out at the weekends for real fun! 

By Befbever on Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 06:17 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

Mr_Venjer, sounds like you have a hole in the bottom of your petrol tank. These values are not normal IMHO.

I'm neither fast nor sensible.  

By Daz on Friday, August 02, 2002 - 01:22 pm:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

Kev, 58 miles to the light?! Are you running really rich or something? Could explain the low top speed if you are maybe? I dunno?  

By Benw on Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 12:38 am:  View Benw's Profile Search for other posts by Benw Edit this post

Everywhere in second gear or summink???  

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation