Ron Haslam race School

Aprilia RiderSite (Riders Site) - The independent & international community website for Aprilia motorcycle riders with chat, discussion forums and much more: General Aprilia Chat: Ron Haslam race School
By Mr_Venjer on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 05:10 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

I did the Premier course at Donnington yesterday. . My trainer was none other than BSB racer Dean Ellison. Its a 2 people to 1 trainer job. We used CBR600s, stripped down with race fairings.

Our first 15 minute session was a follow him session, learning lines etc. During the interval he pointed out our mistakes. I thought I was hanging off but the man from Del Monte - he say No!! My boots touched the ground and made me kack my pants. I had my toes pointing out a bit but that was the only way I felt comfortable. He showed me his feet positioning, outside of boot on peg. It felt much better whilst cornering.

I didn't tuck in on straights, again I thought I did but not according to Dean. Also hanging off. He said we were to upright. I thought bollox was I. The next session I watched him and, with risk of sounding like a fag, I watched his bum. He had both cheeks off the bike. I had one cheek off. I made a big effort in that session to lean off and I manged the unthinkable !!! KNEE DOWN !!!!!!!!
When it happened I jumped. I got upright immediately and looked around to see what the fook just happened. A couple of corners more and it happened again. I clocked. GO ON MY SON !
Hanging off at speed nearly properly felt soooo good. corner speed was up and I felt more comfortable following Dean.

After an advanced briefing on cutting lap times along came the 3rd session. The 3rd and final session was a "put everything that I've learned today" session. Speed through corners, hanging off, braking and gear selection plus body positioning and bike positioning in the moments before tipping into corners. There is a shedload to do - especially when you think about it but lap after lap things became more simple. We were able to keep up much better with Dean to the point where he said he was giving his 900 Hornet some wellie !!!!

I hit a few kerbs and ran wide a few times in my quest to be quicker but I learned a lot and, although the half day goes quickly it is well worth the money. All I need now is a couple of track days to cement what I have learned immediately. My new Supercorsas are gonna get it !

Peaceout to all my peeps.

Kevin 

By Daz on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 06:22 am:  View Daz's Profile Search for other posts by Daz Edit this post

HEY HEY!!!! Congrats Mr V!! It sounds like you had a right good crack geezer!!

What did you think of Donny? Fave bits?

Daz  

By Befbever on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 07:39 am:  View Befbever's Profile Search for other posts by Befbever Edit this post

By Taffrsv on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 11:34 am:  View Taffrsv's Profile Search for other posts by Taffrsv Edit this post

well done my son, I've resigned myself to virgin knee sliders, I blame my age and to tight leathers for not been able to get my knee out far enough.  

By Cecilthecat on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 12:53 am:  View Cecilthecat's Profile Search for other posts by Cecilthecat Edit this post

Kev

I did the RH race school a three times (Corp Hospitality) and learnt loads in a short period of time.

When you think about it not many of us have ever had much in the form of formal training to ride a bike.
In my case I learnt to ride a bike over the fields and then took my part one test which was similar to the CBT, then the Part 2 which was riding around the Block with an examiner on foot. Since then it's been a case of teach yourself by trial and error, so I found that the guys at the RH race school taught me some obvious but useful things which then took me to the next level.
I can now go to Trackdays and practise these things, and am now thinking of doing some of the California Superbike schools.

Simon  

By Mr_Venjer on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 03:07 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Thanks all. I was buzzing until yesterday evening. This morning I took it all a bit too far though and nearly ran someone over !. I thought I would take the racing line doing a left hander and cranked the bike over only for a fool to start crossing the road without looking. Some light front braking and heavy rear braking saw me snake about a bit but I stopped inches from his leg. I ended up doing a Fred Flinstone stop

The guys I went with want to go again so that means I will too. 2 of us will do the Fireblades this time and the 3rd will stick to the 600s. I found myself running out of revs too often.

Highly recommended. When's the next trackday boys ?

Kevin.

PS, Thank goodness for Supercorsas. I was egged on at the lights by these workmen in a van and stupidly accelerated hard while turning a bit. Result, front wheel lifting quickly while turning. I let off the gas, the bike landed at an angle BUT luckily didn't slip/skid, the grip with the SCs is phenomenal. 

By Aprilliag on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 09:20 am:  View Aprilliag's Profile Search for other posts by Aprilliag Edit this post

Kevin when are you thinking about going back If it's ok I'd like to join you (dates permiting)Also I'm booked up for Rockingham again 0n 29th July same circuit as last time do you fancy coming along and trying out your new found skills and teaching me some. Gary  

By Mental_Trev on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 01:44 am:  View Mental_Trev's Profile Search for other posts by Mental_Trev Edit this post

Quote:

thought I would take the racing line

Thankfully, you survived to ride another day, Kev, and hopefully learnt to save this for the track only? Racing lines on the road are BAD!  

By Wilko on Monday, July 01, 2002 - 01:44 pm:  View Wilko's Profile Search for other posts by Wilko Edit this post

Im doing the Elite on a Blade too this Wednesday (3rd July) weather is looking shite, does anyone know if they will cancel the day if its likely to piss down? £250 is only worth it when the sun shines! not that am worried or anything......uhum

Wilko  

By Mr_Venjer on Wednesday, July 03, 2002 - 02:15 am:  View Mr_Venjer's Profile Search for other posts by Mr_Venjer Edit this post

Gary, I think I am in Amsterdam on the 29th July. I will let you know when we are doing the Race school again. I can't wait to do it again.  

By Wilko on Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 11:31 am:  View Wilko's Profile Search for other posts by Wilko Edit this post

Well Wednesday went ok, we were lucky with the weather and found the Blade to be a superb machine (bit twitchy on the front) but a good laugh, managed to get a 2.01 fastest lap, not bad considering it was slightly damp.
Recommend anyone who has already done the Premier to have a go at Elite, you wont be dissapointed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation